[lit-ideas] Re: speaking of libraries in the United States of Earth

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2005 17:26:20 -0500

Andreas:

The Spaniards were here first, and far longer, than the English-speakers. Estas claro, amigo?

Yes, but, of course, there were hundreds of languages in this land prior to Spanish, languages that had been here for tens of thousands of years. So your argument hardly holds water -- in fact it leaks like an 80 year old. What matters is being the dominant culture. Dominate, dominate, dominate. The iron fist of economic control. Who rules, rules. It's as simple as that. All this multicultural bullshit is like totally for losers. Become like us or die. I like that. That's Republicanesque. I'm all for that.. I think I'll start killing the rich tomorrow.

Mike Geary
Dominator of Memphis

I surprised that Eric, a native of NYC, would be so parochial when it comes to language. In Seattle every official government document it translated into twenty-something different languages. Surely a hospital can have on hand a Spanish translator since a large minority of Americans speak Spanish only. How provincial! How "fuck you!" to the rest of the world. But then, there's the Bush Administration!

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Personally I think this is idiocy. English should be our national language. Period.

Dear Eric,

The Spaniards were here first, and far longer, than the English-speakers. Estas claro, amigo?

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com