[lit-ideas] Re: speaking of libraries in the United States of Earth

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 23:53:08 -0400

Mike: Surely a hospital can have on hand a Spanish translator since a large minority of Americans speak Spanish only. How provincial! How "fuck you!" to the rest of the world.

___

Provincial, ah here's the rub! My friend is NOT a native American but learned English to pass the USMLE to practice here, then learned Spanish to communicate with those who refuse to learn our language.

It's the Spanish speakers who are saying fuck you by refusing to learn our language.

Furthermore, it's not parochialism. You may be comfortable with the creation of an American slave caste who cannot speak English. I want everyone to speak English so they are not forced to be slaves.