[lit-ideas] Re: speaking of libraries in the United States of Earth

Personally I think this is idiocy. English should be our national language. Period.

A doctor friend was dealing with a Spanish-speaking male patient recently. He was very angry that the doctors in the hospital didn't speak Spanish and was raising a ruckus.

My doctor friend was called in and spoke to the guy, in Spanish.

"Nobody speaks my language," he said angrily.

"Our job is to help people, not to speak your language. We are speaking your language AS A FAVOR. How long have you been in this country?"

"Eighteen years."

"And you haven't learned any English?

"No."

"Where is your gratitude to this country? You have a better life here than you had in your country and you can't even learn the basics of the language?"

"Sorry."

I am very proud of my friend.