[lit-ideas] Re: speaking of libraries in the United States of Earth

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 06:44:20 -0400

what pisses you off is that they're different from you and won't make an effort to be like you. .... But cutting off medical care or government services to those who don't speak English isn't going to make you sleep any easier, Bro.

-----

Now Brother Geary, I grew up in a tiny town in an underprivileged area. If I wanted to avoid difference I would have stayed there, but I was too different to remain there.

Nor have I argued for cutting off anything for anybody, just that people who come here attempt to learn the language. You know, welcome to this country, learn the language, and prosper. It's a small effort of civility and respect for others, you see.

Respect cuts both ways, doesn't it? But perhaps your hate for white culture blinds you to that reciprocity?