[lit-ideas] Re: faith

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 17:39:36 -0400

Don't you think, Paul, that religiosity is as much a result of not
choosing as of choosing?  I teach a bit of Bible studies in my Classics
course (primarily Genesis and Daniel) and my students mostly come in two
kinds:  (1) they've not read the Bible very much (sometimes not at all)
but they're sure it's the word of God because that's how they've been
raised and (2) they've not read the Bible very much (sometimes not at
all) and dismiss it as a bunch of ancient hooey because that's how
they've been raised.  Sometimes I have a few who consciously chose not
to believe after being raised in the first camp.   But they're a
definite minority.   In some ways, it's not really very different from
voting.  Some choose...but the majority vote with some pack, be it their
family or their community.  It's just easier that way.   Very few take
the road less traveled.

Ursula
in North Bay