[lit-ideas] "education"

  • From: JulieReneB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 12:22:42 EST

My 6th grade daughter has an assignment for "Language Arts".  It's one of
those instances of "there is absolutely no way to appropriately complete the
assignment".  Things like this just baffle me -- what exactly is she supposed
be learning from this?? I have replicated the assignment below.   Maybe some
mind-altering substance would help...
~~~~~~~~~
Explain why each of the following is not a correct cause and effect sequence
of events.  Then, on the back or a separate sheet of paper write a correct
cause and effect sequence using the same starting event.

1.    Event 1:  Mr. Wartbat discovers his house is infested with rats.

       Event 2:  The rats laugh at Mr. Wartbat behind his back.

       Event 3:  Mr. Wartbat has no idea he is being mocked.

       Event 4:  The rats wait until he is asleep and paint a false mustache
on Mr. Wartbat.

2.    Event 1:  Millie the dog scratches all day.

       Event 2:  Millie has hundreds of fleas.

       Event 3:  The fleas form a circus.

       Event 4:  Millie watches the fleas for hours as they practice their
trapeze act.

3.    Event 1:  Detective Burton finds hair and glass at the crime scene.

       Event 2:  Detective Burton hates his job.

       Event 3:  Detective Burton applies for early retirement

       Event 4:  The hair belongs to the first suspect.

~~~~~~~

Some could make sense -- like Millie the dog has hundreds of fleas causes
Millie the dog scratches all day (however, in that one, the first event is
supposed to stay the same which makes it impossible to .....oh never mind).