[lit-ideas] Re: education

  • From: "Veronica Caley" <molleo1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 12:00:40 -0400

Thanks so much for this posting from NYTimes Review of Books.  I read the
article below the links, written by Anthony Grafton.  The sentence below is
from that article.

Christopher Newfield is not the only sober, informed observer who believes that
political elites are deliberately attacking middle-class education.

I totally agree with the above.  Except that the people doing this are those we
elected in 2010 and before.  There was a Republican sweep of practically every
office and legislative seat in my state, Michigan.  We have a special fund
where certain taxes collected can go into the K through 12 fund only.  First
thing our governor did was cut $300 million out of this fund.  In other words,
like a Somali pirate,  he raided it.  K through 12 education has been cut
before, but only a little and only from other state funds.  That was when we
had a Democratic governor.  And people here don't want to pay taxes, which
seems to be true of most of the rest of our fellow citizens.

So, even if the colleges become less expensive, or give more scholarships,
etc., these children will be even less prepared to do college level work,
assuming that their parents can afford the tuition.  Most people with lots of
money send their children to private schools, mostly run by religions.
Producing another generation even more separate from their cohorts when they
grow up and even more conservative, and even less of a  social conscience.

Veronica Caley

Milford, MI