[lit-ideas] Re: education

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2011 20:08:14 -0700

Ursula wrote

Well...in our little college in Northern Ontario, the liberal arts have to be argued for almost every year. There's very little support for programs that can't find connections with or support from the mercantile/industrial world outside our doors (of very little perception...).

That said, we do have some amazing students who very much do want a liberal arts education. They didn't always know that coming in...but things turn them on.

*http://www.nytimes.com/1997/12/26/business/philosophers-find-the-degree-pays-off-in-life-and-in-work.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

*It's sad that studying the liberal arts (as opposed to e.g. engineering) has to be somehow justified in terms of what it will 'get you' after graduation. A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, there was the non-mysterious notion of studying something for its own sake. Hélas.*

*Robert Paul*
*