[lit-ideas] education

  • From: Julie Krueger <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 06:54:00 -0500

I have two daughters.  One is a natural-born academician and lord knows
where she'll go -- she's in my worry basket for totally different reasons.

My 18 yr old is a different story.  She is not naturally academically
inclined and the public schools have served her incredibly poorly.  Her
grades are low and the classrooms she's in are student chaos.  This is her
senior year.  Her teachers have emphasized test-taking over
subject-learning and she says things like, "If I don't understand high
school biology, how am I ever going to take College biology?"

How much of an epidemic is this, and how do you, as College Prof's, deal
with students whose public schooling has left them entirely unprepared for
College-level study and subject matter??

It was my experience that College was easier than pub. school because I
truly loved my classes, my prof's were excellent, and the atmosphere was
one of learning, not scraping by by hook or by crook.  (One teacher of my
daughter's actually told her to just cheat on her tests, to do anything she
had to to pass that class.)

Julie Krueger