[lit-ideas] Re: Who won, or lost, the Cold War

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 11:25:59 -0500

DM: I also understand that Hayek produced very strong purely economic arguments
why the USSR was unviable and could only be sustained by artificial measures
like 'war'.

And the US ISN'T sustained by the war complex? The single superpower paradigm has kept US [barely] in business for the past 15 years. Maybe the US is unviable in today's global economy. Low prices, producing nothing except war machines? Hmmm... makes one wonder.

I'm interested to see "Why We Fight" -- an admittedly biased propaganda film disguised as a "documentary" -- which opens this week. Maybe we can re-address this issue in a few weeks after some of us have seen the film. Or maybe we can just make our own pronouncements -- like usual. I'm sure Andy has at least 5 dozen posts in her.

trying hard to lurk, but finding it impossible,
X (it's election day)