[lit-ideas] Re: Who won, or lost, the Cold War

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 12:07:40 -0500

You people are nasty, you know that?

No, I did not know that.

Why don't the people here who are so upset just filter my posts?

Because occasionally, you say something mildly interesting, or in one case, even funny. I don't filter anyone's post because I want the freedom to filter them myself, after reading them. Some, I never read, but at least I have them there if I feel the need or if I have a few seconds to kill at the end of a day.

> I don't get it.

In the word of Erin "meh!"

When posts bother me, I delete them. I don't complain, I don't send nasty little comments, I
delete. Let me help you out. You can click "From" (or Received,
whatever), put all my posts together and highlight them, hit delete, go
into Trash, organize by From, find my posts, highlight them, hit delete,
it'll ask you are you sure you want to permanently delete these posts? and
you'll answer, yes, God, yes, I want to delete.

Yeah, well that depends on whether one is a slave to Microsloth or not. Some people aren't. Some people also have university accounts that they access remotely from home and which as such, are very hard to manage the way you describe.

In any case, I think we need to be self-censoring. I compose at least 10 posts a day to lit-ideas and I only send 1 or 2 -- unless I'm in a heated discussion with 10 other people -- because I deem most of them unfit for public viewing. Probably most of the ones I send are too, but I have to send SOMETHING [he said, not searching for a flurry of "Oh, don't stop contributing"s] Still it makes me feel better just getting it down on the screen -- psychologically speaking, it's therapy for me.

It's always been my understanding that sharing attachments in most listserves is a no-no, simply because of the varying levels of email abilities of the world-wide population. I certainly would be pretty peeved if someone sent me 1 mb attachment and I was at 56k and paying for the service on a bulk rate.

So... you see, it's not that I object to your [or anyone's] copious contribution, but YOU have to be a bit more self-reflective before you send 6 duplicates, or send a 5 email series of chat-like followups on whether you were being "recalcitrant" or not. Just think a second time before you hit 'send' -- just ask Mike.

Bingo, 8,500 emails reduced to 4,000, lots of space. It takes seconds, trust me, seconds. If
you need instructions on how to filter posts directly into a self-purging
trash folder, let me know and I'll see if I can help you out. Probably, if
you did that, you wouldn't have an excuse to send nasty little emails, so
you won't take the time to help yourself.

Talk about nasty. Oh, no, definitely recalcitrant.

patiently,