[lit-ideas] Re: Who won, or lost, the Cold War

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 14:22:10 -0500

Lawrence: it was the pressure applied by every administration from Truman through Reagan that was necessary to the fall of the USSR in 1989.

Eric: People tend to forget that we were in a death match with the USSR, with tens of thousands of nuclear warheads pointed at population centers, forget Khrushchev's announcement of a 100-megaton nuclear weapon (I once calculated that the crater--just the crater--from a single 100-meg explosion would be fifty miles across. Could easily kill most people in five states.)

As a result, the US is remembered for propping up every evil dictator, every repressive regime. For example, an old man in Brazil told me that America gave Brazil two things, "John Wayne and the death of teachers all over the country." Older Brazilians remember that our CIA trained the Brazilian dictatorship in torture and abetted the disappearance of hundreds of suspected Marxist-leaning school teachers.

Read Pinter's Nobel Prize Speech. Without mentioning the fact that the survival of the entire human race was at stake, Pinter brings all these realpolitik moves back to roost. He wants to blame, so he blames, context be damned.

We could have done better, sure in retrospect. But at the time (and how we forget!) the entire planet could have been rendered uninhabitable, and all of humanity was at stake. Because in the present conflict, less is at stake, we are not nearly as Draconian as we were then. Yet people often lump the entire history of misdeeds together, out of context.