[lit-ideas] Re: Who won, or lost, the Cold War

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 08:38:10 -0800

The Republican argument, which gives Reagan the credit for winning the Cold
War, assumes the corruption and inefficiency that Andreas mentioned, but
argued that the USSR would nevertheless have gone on indefinitely without US
pressure and the Reagan pressure that was the straw that broke the USSR,
according to the Republican argument, was Star Wars.  Reagan said he was
going ahead with Star Wars, the USSR not only believed him but believed Star
Wars would work and therefore collapsed.

I don't subscribe to the Republican theory whole-heartedly because I have
been a fan of George Kennan who introduced the strategy of containment
during the (Democratic) Truman Administration.  The pressure applied by
Reagan may have been the "final straw," but it was all those other straws
applied during previous administration that brought matters to that point.

I suppose it is theoretically possible, as someone indicated, that something
utterly unrelated to the Cold War and unrelated to anything the US did in
it, like the aforementioned interference from Mars, but absent that I think
the best argument is that the US as a result of a policy that began with
Truman and ended with Reagan did win the Cold War.

That USSR corruption and inefficiency was a factor is beyond dispute, but
consider the "war" the French fought against the Germans at the beginning of
WWII. I haven't heard of any corruption but the French Generals and other
leaders who prepared for and fought the Germans were inefficient,
unimaginative, and utterly unsuitable for fighting the Germans.  We know
this from the many histories written about these matters.  Charles De Gaul
himself wrote about it.  He knew what should have been done (according to
him) but the blind bureaucrats at the top wouldn't listen to him.

So, assuming that De Gaul and others I've read were correct, did the Germans
defeat the French or did their ineptitude cause their defeat?  Surely it was
a combination of the two, but this is true in any war.  Two forces war.
After the war is over we look at why one side won and the other lost.  There
is always some deficiency on the part of the side that lost, but there is no
good reason for arguing that these deficiencies were utterly decisive.  The
side that won did fight and they did win.

Consider another example.  Sonny Liston is the most feared heavyweight in
existence and he is to fight the young upstart Cassius Clay.  The fight
takes place and with a punch that has many spectators crying "fix," Clay
knocks out Liston. It was later learned that Liston was heavily involved
with gangsters and would have been susceptible to gangster pressure; so he
may have thrown the fight.  Assuming that he did, did this mean that Clay
didn't win?  Had not Clay entered the ring with Liston he might have
remained heavyweight champion for quite a long time.  Clay walked away with
the heavyweight title, changed his name to Muhammad Ali, and became one of
the most successful and powerful heavyweights in history.  So he at least
technically and officially won.  We can say that about the US as well.  We
technically and officially won.

But Clay, boxing fans would argue, would have defeated Liston even if Liston
fought his hardest.  We can say the same thing about the US.  Army against
army we would have defeated the USSR - assuming a neutral battlefield like
Western Europe or Afghanistan.  I'm not forgetting Clauswitz' dictum,
something along the lines of "the first rule of warfare is 'never invade
Russia.'"

Lawrence