[lit-ideas] Re: Victor Hanson in Iraq

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 06:11:21 -0600

Lawrence wants to know: do I suffer from Liberal Guilt over the treatment of
Native Americans?  No.  At least I don't feel personally culpable for the
crimes committed by the Europeans and the U. S. Government against the American
Indians.  However, I do recognize those crimes as crimes that at times crossed
the border into genocide and feel a responsibility as a member of the community
to work towards a society that will not let such crimes happen again.  Do I
feel guilt over the plight of African Americans?  To some degree yes.  I have
copies of the deeding of slaves by my great great grandfather to my great
grandfather.  My immediate ancestors owned human beings.  I don't own any human
beings, not outright, but I do own a privilege over many human beings -- that
is, the immense, almost insurmountable advantage that my white skin gives me
over black skinned people in America, especially in the South where racism is
still pervasive and deeply embedded.  I do feel a kind of guilt about that,
probably because, despite all my beliefs, I recognize racist reactions in
myself from time to time and it appalls me.  But all I can do about it is work
toward greater social justice.  The severe social and economic disadvantages
accruing from 300 years of radical cultural displacement and disenfranchisement
justify such extraordinary measures as racial quotas and economic retribution,
or so I believe -- there's your Liberal Guilt at work!   Now if one were to
describe Liberal Guilt, not as feelings of personal culpability, but as the
recognition of crimes committed by one's ethnic group or ancestors and the
resolve to work towards a society that will not permit such crimes again, then
yes, I suffer from Liberal Guilt.  My question is, why doesn't everyone?

The rest of Lawrence's post rehashes topics hashed through a thousand times
before without any perceptible change of mind on anyone's part.  I don't have
the patience for any "did too -- did not" this morning.