[lit-ideas] Re: Victor Hanson in Iraq

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 19:40:17 -0600

I'm not sure whether Brian agrees with Zinn or Hitchens.  But it doesn't
matter.  The Bushies so screwed up the war against Al Queda with their little
adventure in Iraq that nothing can save it.  A decade or more of horrendous
civil war is all we have to look forward to now, a war that might well engulf
the whole of the Middle East -- as they world warned them before their illegal
invasion.  I say the blood is on our hands as well as on all others who are
involved in the killing.  I'm guilty by paying my taxes, but I don't have the
integrity of the brothers Berigan or Thoreau.  It's not my loved ones being
killed.  Feel terrible about it.  Say so.  Shrug it off.  Go to work.  Life of
a Liberal.

We started the murder in Iraq.  I agree with Zinn that Bush should be tried by
an international court and I don't understand how anyone who believes in human
rights and international law could disagree.

Lawrence asks and answers himself: "What is the danger of Leftism today?  They
represent a political position that is largely anti-American."  Hmmmm.  By
Lawrence's definition of anti-American.  It's certainly not mine.

Mike Geary
Memphis