[lit-ideas] Re: Victor Hanson in Iraq

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 17:42:02 -0000

"After the Cold War ended, a number of people on the American Conservative side
(not so much, interestingly, on the Liberal side) thought we should abandon
realpolitik and operate out of principle.  We should advocate American
principles around the world and not engage in realpolik any longer."

Unless, that is, we're talking about dictatorships like Pakistan...in which
case realpolitik is once again valid. Conversely, of course, there's the notion
that American Principles, as understood by the American Conservatives, are
actually met by dealing with a dictatoriship that shelters the very terrorists
that everybody is supposed to be fighting. Perhaps Lawrence should list these
principles so that we can be made to understand.

Simon