[lit-ideas] Re: Victor Hanson in Iraq

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 16:40:05 -0500

"Defeat is always worse than any terrible policy that engenders it.
Defeat leads to even more terrible policies, and ever more defeatist
sentiment."

Pouncing on the exception that proves the rule, Simon writes:

Germany kills six million jews because of a racist dictatorship. Bad policy
for sure but...etc.

_____

Consider the origin of Nazism in the defeat of Germany in WW1. That defeat in WW1 led to the terrible policies of the Nazis, who were hearkening back to an Aryan master race myth to assuage the despair brought about by that defeat. Scapegoating Jews, gays, gypsies, communists for the humiliation of that defeat decades after the fact.

Sure, victory in some insane fascist cause is not good, but that's not what we have in the present case. We have a post-9/11 war started on faulty intelligence and false bravado, which was then grossly mishandled, creating humanitarian disaster, and encouraging al-Qaeda and other forces to make that disaster worse, such as when they murdered the UN envoy in Baghdad and drove the UN forces from the country.

Yet to argue as Mike does that defeat is really a victory ... is bull. Defeat is defeat; there is nothing standing outside a culture, no Olympus from where we can claim defeat is really a victory. Our defeat is our defeat. To claim we are worse than the enemy is simply bad judgment grown from a lifetime of alienation.