[lit-ideas] Re: Tittles--a change of title

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 09:58:00 -0700

More haste, less wotsit. After discovering the error in my post, I regretted "thorough understanding of why I stopped subscribing to Zyzzyva." I meant that I had an understanding of the complexity of that decision. I realize that my words could be read to mean that I had found nothing of value in that journal.

Here's an interview with its editor which characterizes the issues faced by many small literary journals:

http://www.zyzzyva.org/parisreviewinterview.htm

The book I referred to is "Art Galleries and Museums of Britain," put out by KGP publishing. It really is a delight. On one page, opened at random, the Towner Art Gallery and Local Museum, has a work by David Nash of Blaenau Ffestiniog, an artist I'm currently thinking of emulating. On the opposite page is the Hastings Museum and Art Gallery, which lies on Bohemia Road. "There are plenty of special features for children, with fossils that transform into dinosaurs, a diorama of local animals, two Native American Galleries complete with tipi and buffalo, and a display on the Hastings born conservationist Grey Owl. There is a display on John Logie Baird who make his break- through in the invention of television in Hastings in 1923/24. The most spectacular part of the museum is the magnificent Durbar Hall constructed for the Indian and Colonial Exhibition of 1886."

So who was Grey Owl?  Why, a Scot, of course!

http://www.1066.net/greyowl/

David Ritchie,
Portland