[lit-ideas] Re: Tittles--a change of title

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 12:12:31 +0700

John McCreery wrote:

"I wonder, though, if there doesn't come a point at which pointers to
this or that example and "Don't think, but look!" becomes evasion,
what lawyers would call unresponsive to the question."

Of course this happens.  As Robert noted, it has become a catch
phrase.  That aspects of Wittgenstein's thought have been turned into
cant doesn't lessen the importance of Wittgenstein's encouragement to
understand how things are by looking at particular cases.  The hard
work lies in teasing out the significance of those particular cases,
and some people are lazy.

John continues:

I press Phil a bit, if Freud, Levi-Strauss and Derrida are exemplary
of the differences you see between psychology, anthropology and
philosophy, could you please spell that out a bit?"

Levi-Strauss sees the universal nature of the incest taboo as a
challenge to his structural account of societies and isn't quite sure
what to do with it.  Derrida sees Levi-Strauss's struggle with this
exception as a sign of an internal contradiction within a
structuralist approach to understanding.  The former is
anthropological, the latter philosophical.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Yogyakarta, Indonesia