[lit-ideas] Re: The meaning of life

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Mike Geary <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 20:58:25 -0330

No, logically contradictory statements cannot both be true in "real" life or
any other kind of life characterized by rationality. Nor can they both be
false.
It's just another one of them transcendental things.

To wit:

(Ahem)

Loving both the fair and the brown
a contradictory relation does not make.
If one loves the fair,
one can also love the brown.
And if one loves the brown,
one can also love the fair.
And yet, should one love not the fair,
'tis folly to aver one must love the brown.
Which leads us to conclude,
if one loves the brown
one may also love the fair.
And all who fall in between.
Behold the circle of life, love and logic.

If this John  fellow believes otherwise, he is mistaken. But we have no
evidence
that the man was logically challenged. Being a Metaphysician, he may not have
committed a logical fallacy in his entire life. (Perchance a marital fallacy
...)

The fellah does, however, have a grammar problem ... big time. Worse than
Milton's. Are editors unavailable to poets for some reason?

Walter O.
T. Egerton Professor of Logic and Poetry
School of Metaphysics
Oxford, Kansas