[lit-ideas] Re: The Strident Voice of Defeat

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 19:29:53 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

I can't give you quotes.  The fact that the military says the war is not winnable is widely said by experts on the military.  I absorbed the concept without noting the persons saying it, but I will tell you that I read and listen to only reputable sources.  I do NOT get my information from the NYT.  Bush himself said we're not winning; James Baker, Henry Kissinger, Bill Buckley.  I don't read blogs except occasionally from Mother Jones.  Unfortunately, Bush doesn't care what the military, most notably the Army, says.  Rumsfeld thought they could get rid of the Army, or pare it way down and move into an age of technology substituting for soldiers.

I have argued this point incessantly.  If I haven't made it by now, then it won't be made by me.  I refer you to Thomas Ricks and others.  They are much more eloquent and comprehensive than I am.