[lit-ideas] Re: The Magic of Images: Word and Picture in a Media Age

  • From: Scribe1865@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 13:59:13 EDT

One thing we seem to learn from ads is that the benefits of a product are
emotional benefits. Features = benefits = emotions.
The Zipco Android Butler cleans windows (feature),

which means that you don't have to spend time reprogramming your brand-X
Android Butler to do windows (benefit),

which means you can spend more time with your family (emotion: smiling mom
embracing kids,  or mom and dad and kids picnicking on lawn as hardworking
Android Butler watches through sparkling clear windows)

This can also run negative:

 As where angry, snippy mom lets the kids go hang as she labors to clean
windows. Meanwhile the Brand-X Android Butler stubbornly sulks in background,
repeating "I do not do windows."

Then Hubby comes home with Zipco Android Butler which immediately sets to
work on the windows, everyone in the family smiles, closing shot of Brand-X
Android Butler headfirst in garbage can, still repeating that "I do not do
windows."

Eric

PS
Life becomes purchasing, becomes shopping.
This is what the old-fashioned Marxists refer to as "commodification," I
think. Was commodification just a bill of goods they were selling us?