[lit-ideas] Re: The Magic of Images: Word and Picture in a Media Age

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 00:14:57 -0400

>1) Eye-catching
>         We live in a world saturated with advertising and other messages.
>         If an ad doesn't grab our attention, it doesn't work at all.
>2) News
>         The ad must show us something new. Otherwise its message will
>         be quickly forgotten.
>3) Easy to understand
>         In the effort to achieve 1) and 2) the creators of ads often forget
>that
>         ads must speak to mass audiences; they must have a common touch.
>4) Add value to the product or sponsor
>         If, as in the case that Julie remembers, we recall the ad but not the
>         product or sponsor, the ad has failed as advertising.
>5) Move the product
>         This is the holy grail. Most ads have far more modest effects:
>increasing
>         awareness or product understanding or enhancing an image, for
> example.
>
>The mythic resonances and clarity of communication that Paglia talks
>about contribute to crossing several of these hurdles. They may grab
>our attention, or show us something previously unseen that nonetheless
>speaks to us powerfully. If the myths are pan-human (or at least
>locally widespread), they may make ads easier to understand and ad
>value to the product or sponsor that captures some of their aura. If
>the myths are truly powerful, they may even spur purchase--Now that
>would be a great ad.

As a quite sophisticated and VERY uninterested ad watcher [I almost never
watch them since I almost always tape shows and therefore FF throught the
ads]  I must confess to remembering ads, but NEVER knowing what the Hell
they are selling. I don't care. I like the cinematography and the jokes,
but the "THING" that they are selling is lost on me. I learn all the tunes,
I learn all the dance moves, I know who is in them, but i have No clue who
they are shilling. Today, ads don't work. They should bring back the
obvious ones. At least those have a chance of making me remember what they
are hawking.