[lit-ideas] Re: The Magic of Images: Word and Picture in a Media Age

  • From: JulieReneB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 09:37:51 EDT

<<great ads and great art "work" (affect their audiences) in the
same way>>
I wonder how you define "great ads".  If, by definition, they are ads which
pursuade people to purchase or do something, I'd be hard pressed to cite an
example.  On the other hand there are a few, precious few, pieces of
advertising
which are genuinely artistic and enormously creative -- I have noted that when
I see such (e.g., on TV) and remark on its artistic and creative qualities, I
have no idea what the product was.  Lack of product ID almost seems the
hallmark of "great ads".

JK

========Original Message======== Subj:[lit-ideas] Re: The Magic of Images:
Word and Picture in a Media Age
Date:4/9/2004 9:48:19 PM Central Daylight Time
From:mccreery@xxxxxxx
To:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent on:

On 2004/04/08, at 21:11, Steven G. Cameron wrote:

> **Yes, but...  Why do some works succeed (we've discussed the "sublime"
> a few times over the years on this list's various incarnations)?? If
> you
> consider obvious selections: The Mona Lisa, Wagner's Ninth, Pride and
> Prejudice, The Wizard of Oz, The Beatles' Yesterday, Hamlet, many
> Mythology tales, etc.-- what do they have in common, if not some of the
> concepts noted above??

I agree absolutely that the concepts invoked by Paglia are not specific
to advertising. But I wonder what you would think of the proposition
that great ads and great art "work" (affect their audiences) in the
same way, the differences between ads and art lying in their objectives
instead of their mechanisms.

John L. McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd.
55-13-202 Miyagaya, Nishi-ku