[lit-ideas] Re: The Magic of Images: Word and Picture in a MediaAge

  • From: John Wager <johnwager@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 10:26:29 -0500

But would you agree that ads do "frame the discourse" remarkably well?
It would seem to me that the "third world" sees the U.S. primarily
through our advertisements, and while they may not "get" the exact,
particular product they are supposed to buy, they "buy into" buying
products.  It's harder to see the same thing happen inside one's own
culture, but that also seems true: We learn, as we grow up on ads, to
"pick from" this list of options.  These options become life's choices;
one can buy a car or a motorcycle or a stereo or more Diet Coke or a new
beautician or a new best-seller, but they are all placed on an equal
footing of purchases. Life becomes purchasing, becomes shopping.  No
other country, Japan included, seems to be as "good" at this as the U.S. is.