[lit-ideas] Sunday Wotsit

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 12:06:51 -0700

Industrial society relies on larger neural networks than the preceding
agricultural one.  And the passions that go with, the ones to emerge half way
through the nineteenth century, were gardening and team sports.  Both invite us
to evaluate aesthetically the relationship between the individual and the
whole.  One lesson of my garden this week, shared by the first display by the
Dutch team in Euro 2012, is that collective show and beauty can be undone by a
surprising shower.  And individuals?  We know there is nothing certain in the
world and that intimations of mortality sometimes work like coughed-out hints
in teenage classrooms--remember those?  We nonetheless dress ourselves as if
the world cared, as if we matter.  In fact those who buzz around only notice
when they are not too preoccupied, and were we to fade or come undone, they
would wander without us.  We and the glories of the world all fade.  Sometimes
the marauding Danes win; sometimes shot hole virus gets the cherry.  That is
history.  The only thing certain in life is that Germans will win on penalties,
except when Drogba and the Chelsea flower show deny.

David Ritchie,
Portland,