[lit-ideas] Re: Should Chirac join Bush in oblivion?

  • From: Eric Yost <NYCEric@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 22:21:53 -0400

As an American citizen I can deplore Chirac's misdeeds, if he's guilty
of any, just as I could, years ago, deplore Idi Amin's brutality. But
deploring something in this fashion only counts in the rhetoric of tu
quoque. 'If you condemn Bush, what about Chirac?' I'm sure it wasn't
Eric's intention to engage in such rhetoric.

I wasn't using rhetoric to insist that there was a balance, as though I
were a Republican, but rather to encourage discussion of the scandal in
question (see my original post) and to argue that oil money spreads
corruption throughout the industrialized world so that no country can be
said to hold the high ground or be free of its taint.

And that therefore the problem that Bush represents will not be solved
by merely removing Bush. It is international in scope and must be
treated as an international problem.