[lit-ideas] Re: Should Chirac join Bush in oblivion?

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 00:38:34 EDT

In a message dated 10/30/2004 9:22:12 PM Central Daylight Time,
NYCEric@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
It is  international in scope and must be
treated as an international  problem.

Hi,
One of the issues that is often used in "my world" to excuse (that is my
word <g>) Bush going against 'world opinion' and the 'UN' is that of the
corruption of the UN in terms of the oil-for-money issue (among others).

In that sense, it might be helpful for those in the US who do want, very
much, for the UN to be and to do in the most healthy and helpful ways, to see
some responsibility taken by *someone* in authority who was supposed to be
overseeing the oil-for-food situation.

Perhaps it is about both responsibility as well as respect.  They  do seem to
go together--and I am reminded of the quip:  "What you do in  moderation,
others will excuse in excess" and think that even if the  oil-for-food
corruption
was not as hurtful or harmful overall to either the  world or to the Iraqi
people, it did give a license to those who back Bush to  say that the UN is
pretty much done -- and they almost gloat at the  thought... (at least in my
area).

Just my thoughts...
Marlena in Missouri