[lit-ideas] Re: Should Chirac join Bush in oblivion?

  • From: Robert.Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Robert Paul)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 30 Oct 2004 18:22:31 PDT

>To cut Chirac slack would be to patronize the excellent French people (no irony
intended). I'm sure they wouldn't want that.<

Chirac could be as corrupt as an an original Aristotle text advertised on eBay,
but it's hard for me to get exercised about it. What am I supposed to do--shake
my finger and say 'Naughty, naughty!'?

Bush is the world's problem--not just ours--and it's Bush I'll be concerned
about until November 2 (and possibly, God forbid, after).

As an American citizen I can deplore Chirac's misdeeds, if he's guilty of any,
just as I could, years ago, deplore Idi Amin's brutality. But deploring
something in this fashion only counts in the rhetoric of tu quoque. 'If you
condemn Bush, what about Chirac?' I'm sure it wasn't Eric's intention to engage
in such rhetoric.

Robert Paul
Reed College