[lit-ideas] Re: Sacrifice

  • From: "Richard Koenigsberg, Ph.D." <libraryofsocialscience@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 20:57:12 -0500

        It's not some "rational choice." It's like submission to a higher
power, like an irresistible force.

        The "nation" is experienced as if a god, hovering over us. We submit
to it.=20

        Soldiers have been willing to join the army and to make the "supreme
sacrifice." It's not as if they knew exactly what they are doing. =
"Society"
is like a higher power that sucked them in. We all believe in and =
worship
"society." Society is the god to which we submit and sacrifice.

Richard Koenigsberg=09