[lit-ideas] Re: Sacrifice

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 06:17:45 EST

<<Anyone know of examples of intentional  self-sacrifice?>>
The implication seems to be  self-sacrifice to the point of death.  Is that
the parameter which  frames the question?  And I have to ask self-sacrifice of
physical  life?  Self-sacrifice of soul?  Of psyche (mental health, i.e.)?
Self-sacrifice of physical well-being or physical existence?  Millions of
people commit acts of intentional self-sacrifice daily...are you asking
strictly
if there are those who allow themselves to be physically killed intentionally,
 for the perceived good of another?
Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Sacrifice  Date:
2/13/05 2:52:33 A.M. Central Standard Time  From: _andreas@xxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Marlena brought up the issue of sacrifice and I've  been thinking about it
off and on for the
last few days.

The fellow  who dives into a river to save a stranger isn't planning on
suicide or
self-sacrifice; he thinks he will save the stranger.

The same applies  to nearly all in the military: they all think they will
survive the battle
and the war. If US soldiers knew they were going to certain death in Iraq, I
seriously doubt
the US would be able to send them.

Self-sacrifice  should apply only those who knowingly go to their death, such
as Palestinian
suicide bombers, Japanese kamikaze, Islamic jihad, and others.

But it  seems to me that Islamic jihadi don't kill themselves; they believe
they  immediately
enter into paradise. Okay, we know different, but in the mind of  the jihadi
as he pushes the
button, he isn't killing himself.

I can't  think of any modern intentional suicidal self-sacrifice, asides from
kamikaze.  As
for kamikaze, I don't know enough about them to say anything about their
intentions.

Anyone know of examples of intentional  self-sacrifice?

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com