[lit-ideas] Re: Sacrifice

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 11:15:07 -0500

Julie Krueger wrote:

"I have been trying for a few weeks  to figure out how to make the
distinction between "ethics" and "morality", or  "ethical" and "moral" clear
to my 13 yr old"

According to Jurgen Habermas, ethics relates to pursuits of personal goals
or the Good while morality relates to social structures that aim to allow
people to live together while pursuing often incompatible goals or visions
of the Good.  More simply, ethics is about who I am and what I think is
worth doing while morality is about 'us' and how different people can live
together.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON