[lit-ideas] Re: Sacrifice

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 00:46:24 -0800

Marlena brought up the issue of sacrifice and I've been thinking about it off
and on for the
last few days.

The fellow who dives into a river to save a stranger isn't planning on suicide
or
self-sacrifice; he thinks he will save the stranger.

The same applies to nearly all in the military: they all think they will
survive the battle
and the war. If US soldiers knew they were going to certain death in Iraq, I
seriously doubt
the US would be able to send them.

Self-sacrifice should apply only those who knowingly go to their death, such as
Palestinian
suicide bombers, Japanese kamikaze, Islamic jihad, and others.

But it seems to me that Islamic jihadi don't kill themselves; they believe they
immediately
enter into paradise. Okay, we know different, but in the mind of the jihadi as
he pushes the
button, he isn't killing himself.

I can't think of any modern intentional suicidal self-sacrifice, asides from
kamikaze. As
for kamikaze, I don't know enough about them to say anything about their
intentions.

Anyone know of examples of intentional self-sacrifice?

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com