[lit-ideas] Re: Reading Lolita in Tehran

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 09:28:41 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

-----Original Message-----
From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Jun 3, 2004 12:45 AM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Reading Lolita in Tehran

--- Scribe1865@xxxxxxx wrote:

And when
> writ large in politics, the ideologue's corruption
> is writ large, as on page 109:
>
> "The Islamic Revolution, as it turned out, did more
> damage to Islam by using
> it as an instrument of oppression than any alien
> ever could have done."

Whereas, had the Communists won out, they would have
used the power to create a political, social, economic
and cultural paradize, as they did elsewhere.

A.A.  Maybe it's part of our war genes to know The Way and make sure everyone
else knows it too.  It's also called a control problem.  The need to control
coupled with need to rebel against control equals Human Condition.

BTW, we all know that the Pentagon's reason for being is war.  But did anyone
know they are currently planning war against China?  Not for anytime soon, mind
you, just planning it.  It's their job.  My source is Booknotes, interview with
Thomas Barnett, a Washington insider.  He otherwise struck me as having missed
his calling as a timeshare salesman (with all due respect to timeshare
salesmen, who are probably some of the best salesmen around).  I wonder if  the
Chinese military is justifying their existence as well.

Andy

O.K.

http://messenger.yahoo.com/