[lit-ideas] Re: Reading Lolita in Tehran

  • From: Scribe1865@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 01:33:11 EDT

In a message dated 4/20/2004 9:45:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mccreery@xxxxxxx writes:
can think of two possibilities. Cerrie has provided an example of
one, paying close attention to the details, which communicate
differences as well as similarities to whatever analogous figures come to
mind, based on the worlds in which we individually live. The other is to shift
the plane of the argument, as Nafisi tries to do here, from any particular case
to a more abstract and general perspective.
The first of these possibilities appeals to the anthropologist in me;
the second to the philosopher I once thought I might become. But what am I
missing here?
The first, Ceri's example, is also the more Nabokovian route. There's a scene
in _Ada_ where a character asks another "Is that your father sitting under
the elm tree?" The reply, "No, it's an oak tree," reminds us to pay attention
the particulars, the details, which is where we all live.