[lit-ideas] Re: "Promissory Materialism" [was: the first lines are the argument referred by]

  • From: "Adriano Palma" <Palma@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 10:17:26 +0200

** For Your Eyes Only **
** High Priority **
** Reply Requested by 11/11/2011 (Friday) **

yes maybe physicalism is best

ξε ν’, γγέλλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις     ἀ ὅτι τ δε
κείμεθα, το ς κείνων ῥήμασι πειθόμενοι.
/begin/read__>sig.file: postal address
palma
University of KwaZulu-Natal Philosophy
3rd floor of Memorial Tower Building
Howard College Campus
Durban 4041
South Africa
Tel off: [+27] 031 2601591 (sec: Mrs. Yolanda Hordyk) [+27]
031-2602292
Fax [+27] 031-2603031
mobile 07 62 36 23 91 calling from overseas +[27] 76 2362391
EMAIL: palma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
EMAIL: palma@xxxxxxxxxx
MY OFFICE # IS 290@Mtb
*only when in Europe*: inst. J. Nicod
29 rue d'Ulm
f-75005 paris france
email me for details if needed at palma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
________
This e-mail message (and attachments) is confidential, and/or
privileged and is intended for the
use of the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient of
this e-mail you must not copy,
distribute, take any action in reliance on it or disclose it to anyone.
Any confidentiality or
privilege is not waived or lost by reason of mistaken delivery to you.
This entity is not responsible for any information not related to the
business of this entity. If you
received this e-mail in error please destroy the original and notify
the sender.

>>> "Eric Yost" <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx> 11/10/2011 10:15 PM >>>

Isn’t it more precise to refer to the particular view of mind-brain
identity as “physicalism” rather than materialism? Materialism seems an
awkward term, especially given the electrical nature of neuronal
activity, but also considering that “matter” (ordinary matter and
energy) is only a small portion of the universe.