[lit-ideas] Re: "Promissory Materialism" [was: the first lines are the argument referred by]

  • From: "Eric Yost" <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 15:15:05 -0500

Isn’t it more precise to refer to the particular view of mind-brain identity as
“physicalism” rather than materialism? Materialism seems an awkward term,
especially given the electrical nature of neuronal activity, but also
considering that “matter” (ordinary matter and energy) is only a small portion
of the universe.