[lit-ideas] Re: Bees and Seas

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 15:17:19 -0800 (PST)

biased in favor of industry, and in their article they're not exactly
over-emphasizing the role of pesticides in CCD.  The pesticide treadmill is a
big deal.  Farmers won't even let their children walk on the soil they grow our
food in.  They treat it like a haz mat, which it is.  Bacteria develop
resistance to antibiotics virtually the first time they're used.  Insects take
a little longer with pesticides, but not too many of their little insect
generations.  I can't imagine fungi are much different.  The cure for CCD is
going to be more pesticides.

On the surface of it the study's credentials look good.  I'm not clear where
the funding came from.  Here industry has a stake in figuring out the problem,
but they also don't want to ruin things for their pesticide promulgating golf
partners.  The USDA is virtually owned by industry, as is the FDA.  So, maybe
it's unbiased, maybe it isn't.  As far as the actual study, first a
disclaimer.  I have enough background in chemistry that I can make heads and
tails of this study but not enough to analyze it in any depth.  However, I did
see this, a quote from the study:  "...A majority of the wax samples were not
analyzed for amitraz metabolites, the fungicides boscalid and iprodione, and
the coumaphos metabolites chlorferone, coumaphos oxon, and potasan. Where only
some of the samples in a given matrix were analyzed for coumaphos metabolites,
only coumaphos (and not ‘total coumaphos’ levels - coumaphos plus metabolites)
were compared. Lastly, a
 lack of detection of some chemicals does not necessarily rule out potential
exposure. Chemicals that metabolize or break down quickly may have been removed
from the various matrixes tested. Alternatively, some chemicals may have been
consumed (in the case of beebread) before samples were collected."

What I'm reading is that they didn't analyze all the pesticides.  Also, how the
pesticides all react with one another has to be unknowable, there are so many
of them.  One of the things about pesticides is that they kill good things
along with bad things, setting up predator-free pathogens in their wake so
pathogens run wild.  Predator-free and resistant to everything thrown at them
sooner or later.  Monsanto has hit a wall with their herbicides.  They say that
it's only temporary, but admit it will take them at least eight years to take
the next step on the treadmill, which will involve dealing with the genetic
material.  Good luck I say.  Nature always bats last.  All they're going to do
is create even worse resistance.

As far as Michelle Obama standing up to the pesticide peddlers, it looks like
smoke and mirrors to me.  Her husband appointed someone from the pesticide
industry as chief agricultural negotiator in the office of the U.S. trade.  He
really had no choice.  Corporations run the country, and that's just a fact.
They weren't going to let someone as well known as Michelle get away with
letting it be known that pesticides aren't necessary for good gardening, or
farming.

http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2010/03/29-0

 Andy