[lit-ideas] Re: Bees and Seas

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 13:42:49 -0800

Andy, ever the skeptic, wrote

The NYT article about the bees is probably accurate, but the NYT is very industry friendly so one has to wonder the extent to which they're understating the effects of pesticides on the immune systems of bees.

Do you mean that the NY Times is understating the effect of pesticides in this article? That the article is somehow biased in favor of industry---? Or what? This is an article about a group of scientists who cooperatively discovered the probable cause of hive collapse. The Times article is a newspaper article, not a scientific treatise. If you want to read the original paper, here's the link.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0006481

Michele Obama started her campaign to grow food. Pesticide manufacturers demanded (demanded) that she use and promote pesticides in her garden even if they weren't needed. I don't know what happened with that. She probably caved because the food industry is staggeringly powerful. No one can go up against them.

Apparently /she/ did. Twenty seconds of scanning Google hits would have shown you that. Maybe your practice of getting all of your information from the History Channel needs to be upgraded

Your obt. servant,

G. W. Leibniz

On the related issue of plastics, birds in the Great Lakes were suddenly turning gay. Males were flying off with males. It turns out that the ostensibly male birds were in fact androgynous, with both male and female reproductive organs. The reason for it was birth defects basically from a class of chemicals called phthalates, no doubt among others. There are so many plastics molecules and they're so ubiquitous they almost can't all be studied. Needless to say industry isn't bending over backwards to study them, and government is now owned by industry. I learned something interesting just recently. It turns out that a source of microscopic poisoning in the oceans is washing fleece fabrics. Washing fleece mechanically removes the fibers that eventually wash into the oceans and are eaten by sea life. Needless to say they aren't good nutrition for sea life. Plastic too winds up in the oceans (in huge quantities). Some is beaten by waves into tiny particles that are eaten by fish that mistake it for plankton. (The plankton eat the fleece particles.) Here's the documentary I saw a while ago on overfishing. It's where I learned about Mitsubishi.
http://www.hulu.com/watch/197316/the-end-of-the-line
Andy