[lit-ideas] Re: News via the web

  • From: JulieReneB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 14:05:40 EST

NPR did coverage of it every hour of headlines and in All Things Considered.
CNN had it as first headline all day.  I don't recall what world news half
hour I watched last night, but they did about 10 minutes on it, saying they had
edited out images that would be considered too gruesome; they did show two of
the bodies hanging from the bridge, though if you didn't know what you were
looking at you might not have known what you were looking at.  Browsing Yahoo
yesterday I came upon a pic I wish I hadn't --don't know the source, but it was
very close up, very graphic, of one of the charred torso's totally blackened,
with Iraqi's standing around it with shovels having dismembered it.  Quite
enough gore and coverage for me, anyway.  I closed out the picture with a sense
of indecency -- it did not seem appropriate to show the public what had been
done to that man, for his family's sake.  Not sure what you were expecting, but
it didn't seem under-covered to me....  my only gripe was that the news anchor
on whichever world news it was did not make the direct link between the fact
that these 4 men were security guards for an American contract company being
paid to do rebuilding in Iraq, taking jobs that Iraqi's are desperate for
themselves.  This in no way justifies what was done, but any motive beyond
"they
were Americans" was not mentioned.

Julie Krueger