[lit-ideas] Re: News via the web

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 01:34:21 -0800 (PST)

Packer evidently does not speak Arabic and had to
communicate through not-too-competent translators.
This should be the first thing to raise doubts about
the reliability of his impressions. I have had many a
confusing 'conversation' in China, due to my own
linguistic incompetence and that of my interlocutors
or (what often makes things even worse) other people
acting as translators.

He obviously has read too much about psychology
('peeling layer by layer' is taken from some book, I
am pretty sure), but I don't imagine that he is
professionally qualified to diagnose someone's mental
health. Given what the Iraqis have been through in the
last year or so, it seems only natural that they would
have confused and contradictory perceptions. There was
plenty of illogical thinking and irrational expression
heard from Americans after 9/11. As to the long
conversations, Iraqis are known for hospitality, and
when asked by a Western journalist to give him an
interview they would probably feel obliged to give him
special attention. Packer obviously had not done much
prior preparation and I am not sure how much 'empathy'
he applied, either.

O.K.