[lit-ideas] Re: News via the web

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 20:59:49 -0700

In one of John's links to Japanese news, I found the following. The
concluding quote is remarkable.

> Ghost Tenants in Aapartments: About a year ago, a real estate company
found that Chinese were staying in unoccupied apartments in Suginami Ward,
Tokyo. The company learned that a Taiwan man in his 50s living in a
three-story apartment complex moved in Chinese students attending
Japanese-language schools every time one of the apartments became vacant. He
fitted new locks to the apartments without permission, the officials said.
The man reportedly collected deposits, key money and rent from the Chinese
students and pocketed the money. Seven units in the 26-apartment complex are
still occupied by Chinese the man moved in without permission. The
management company does not know what to do about the tenants. "We don't
want to cause trouble for others living in the apartment complex by forcing
them (the Chinese) to leave," a company official said.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com