[lit-ideas] Re: New Program in Psychoanalysis and Culture

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 22:09:26 -0500

DW:
>>Regarding culture, I remain unconvinced, to be polite, that anyone stands
>>outside of culture.  I have as liitle respect for the most agreeable Humanist
>>that merely regurgitates the ideas of his guru as I do for the autocrat that
>>is capable of not a whit less.<<

I agree with this totally, wholly and completely.  But then cultures do change,
don't they?  How does that happen if we are nothing more than our culture?  How
does an individual ever begin to stand outside her culture and act contrary to
it, even subversive to it if we are nothing more than our culture -- which is a
tenet or mine, btw.  This is a question that has long plagued me.  Cultures, of
course, are never monolithic.  They are invariably composed of disparate
peoples with disparate needs thrown together through historical events.  But,
given time, out of that disparateness comes a way of living together which I
would call a culture.  And I think this coming-together can and must happen
planetarily -- I like the term "planetarily", but that's probably just my
homeboy culture -- if we people types hope to progress into the next
millennium.

Mike Geary
Universe