[lit-ideas] Re: New Program in Psychoanalysis and Culture

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 01:04:22 +0900

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 12:48 AM, <wokshevs@xxxxxx> wrote:

> I respectfully submit that first, it is not possible to "waft" between two
> notions, statements, women, religions, traffic lanes, etc.. To waft is not
> waver.

To waft is not to waver, but that does not rule out wafting between two
propositions in any but a thoroughly regimented world locked in Weber's iron
cage of rationality.

Wafting, floating, drifting, slithering from one proposition to another:
 the usual term is "brainstorming", suspending critical censorship and
releasing the mind to follow associations where it will. Often to
foolishness but sometimes to genuine insight.

John

--
John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama, JAPAN