[lit-ideas] Re: Muslim Prejudice (Judy?)

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 12:26:02 +0000 (GMT)

Yes.  I mean, I thought it wasn't that good but then, I don't expect
deep/profound from Warsi. I asked if Veronica had read it because I thought if
she had, she might not have said

The one I liked the best was the man who said that she ought not to have spoken
about anti-Muslim prejudice.  Given her position, she ought to have spoken out
about how one of the causes of prejudice against Muslims is their refusal to
except Western secular values.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

this is at the start of the part of her speech about prejudice against Muslims:

Let me say right away to British Muslims that I acknowledge that there is a
minority of people that try to justify their criminal conduct and activity by
suggesting that it is sanctioned by their faith.

It is a problem that we must confront and defeat.

But that problem should not lead to unfounded suspicions of all Muslims.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

and later

 … so let me take this opportunity to address the British Muslim community
directly… .........

Muslim communities must speak out against those who promote violence.

Muslim men and women must make clear that any hatred towards others is wrong.

And above all, not stand on the sidelines, but step forward and help to lead a
progressive, united fight.....

Third, and above all, British Muslims needs to remember that with rights come
responsibilities.

 That means no burying our heads in the sand and denying the problem…

…but standing up and doing something about it

(etc.)

by the way, Donal,

Her speech is
> available on-line at an url given in my last post

no need to tell me that, I'd already posted that url...........