[lit-ideas] Re: Muslim Prejudice (Judy?)

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 23:08:59 +0000 (GMT)

Yes Waheed Alli is i think great.

But I worry for him and all like him.
<<<<<<<

He's doing just fine!  Really.  From working class early school leaver to
multimillionaire, high profile, high profile gay Muslim. He isn't estranged
from his, half Muslim, half-Hindu, family. Young gay Muslims (and non-Muslim
South Asian gay men|) do face problems here, certainly, the Albert Kennedy
Trust supports them (as it does all young GLBT people), and there are support
groups, and no doubt the general climate here helps; but yes it's rough.

As regards the details of the various legal measures you cite concerning
gays, I am truly impressed.  And ashamed that we don't have it here.
Reason?  Refer to my previous e-mail concerning religions.  In our
case it's assorted Christians.
<<<<<<<<<<

I wasn't trying to put the US down. Some US states have full gay marriage, it's
just my hunch that we'll have it fairly soon.  But certainly there's more
resistance there to full gay rights, our antidiscrimination laws are far more
inclusive, and strong.

We also have Muslim legislators in the Congress.  I believe there are
two.
<<<<<<<<<<

Keith Ellison and Andre Carson -- both D.  We have 8 Muslim MPs.  I don't know
how many Muslims are in the Lords. Sayeeda Warsi may be the only Muslim in the
government  now.

Judy Evans, Cardiff

I read this e-mail after I responded to the other one you sent.  I
think this is interesting and wonderful.  I commend
 Baron Alli (Waheed Alli), for what he has done.  I wish him a
long life.  But I worry for him and all like him.

As regards the details of the various legal measures you cite concerning
gays, I am truly impressed.  And ashamed that we don't have it here.
Reason?  Refer to my previous e-mail concerning religions.  In our
case it's assorted Christians.

We also have Muslim legislators in the Congress.  I believe there are
two.

Veronica Caley

Date: Friday, 21 January, 2011,
          15:48

                recently finished a book called, "Why I Am Not A Muslim."
                Among the things I learned: that people who call the prophet a
                pedophile do so because he married a nine year old girl, that
he
                evidently was a bandit who shared the spoils, and that he was
                killing Jews or driving them off the land as early as the
                seventh
                century.

did
                you buy the book?  Wikipedia will tell you about Muhammad's
                wives, including, of course, Aisha, as perfectly or imperfectly
                as it
                did.

that
                he evidently was a bandit who shared the
                spoils
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

he
                should have kept the spoils, I
                guess

 and
                that he was killing Jews or driving them off the land as early
                as the seventh
                century.
<<<<<<<<<<<<

..gosh,
                that was early, we waited till the twelfth
                century....

Re
                Eric's comment on stoning, if you haven't seen it, two
                recommendations: the Christian method is in a film called
                "Zorba the Greek."  The Muslim version, in a film made by
                an Iranian, is called, "The Story of Soraya M"
                Zorba is also a book.  I recommend you see the
                film.  Also that you don't eat before doing
                so.<<<<<<<<<

*I*
                recommend you join the campaigns against stonings in Iran --
but
                would like you also to campaign against all capital punishment;
                thank you

(and FGM.)

--- On Fri, 21/1/11,
                Veronica Caley <molleo1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From:
                  Veronica Caley <molleo1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:
                  [lit-ideas] Re: Muslim Prejudice (Judy?)
To:
                  lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Friday, 21 January, 2011,
                  14:53

                  The BBC America had a discussion about this lady and her
                  comments.  The one I liked the best was the man who said
                  that she ought not to have spoken about anti-Muslim
                  prejudice.  Given her position, she ought to have spoken
                  out about how one of the causes of prejudice against Muslims
                  is their refusal to except Western secular values.  His
                  contention, familiar to us all, that we all accept people
                  making fun of, and disrespecting the religion of, anyone and
                  everyone.  Muslims generally won't accept this.

                  The performer M&M was to perform in Detroit a few
                  years ago.  Because of the vulgarity, the city forbid
                  it.  He sued, won and the city had to pay $300,000
                  restitution.  The reaction of a very moderate imam
                  of a mosque near Detroit was: the show is shameful, the city
                  out to have prohibited it and no fine ought to have been
                  levied.

                  I recently finished a book called, "Why I Am Not A
                  Muslim."  Among the things I learned: that people who
                  call the prophet a pedophile do so because he married a nine
                  year old girl, that he evidently was a bandit who shared the
                  spoils, and that he was killing Jews or driving them off the
                  land as early as the seventh century.

                  Re Eric's comment on stoning, if you haven't seen it, two
                  recommendations: the Christian method is in a film
                  called  "Zorba the Greek."  The Muslim version, in a
                  film made by an Iranian, is called, "The Story of Soraya
                  M"
                  Zorba is also a book.  I recommend you see the
                  film.  Also that you don't eat before doing so.

                  Currently, there is a concern in Western countries that
                  some Muslims are taking daughters to the home country for
                  circumcision and early marriage.  I have read about this
                  issue being of concern in the U.S. and Canada

                  Veronica

Date: Thursday, 20
                            January, 2011, 17:09

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12235237  Reactions