[lit-ideas] Re: Muslim Prejudice (Judy?)

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 19:33:51 +0000 (GMT)

I didn't say you were prejudiced.

>And now that I have read Baroness Warsi's own
words,

quite.

Date: Friday, 21 January, 2011,
                    14:53

                    The BBC America had a discussion about this lady and
                    her comments.  The one I liked the best was the man who
                    said that she ought not to have spoken about anti-Muslim
                    prejudice.  Given her position, she ought to have
                    spoken out about how one of the causes of prejudice against
                    Muslims is their refusal to except Western secular
                    values.  His contention, familiar to us all, that we
                    all accept people making fun of, and disrespecting the
                    religion of, anyone and everyone.  Muslims generally
                    won't accept this.

                    The performer M&M was to perform in Detroit a few
                    years ago.  Because of the vulgarity, the city forbid
                    it.  He sued, won and the city had to pay $300,000
                    restitution.  The reaction of a very moderate
                    imam  of a mosque near Detroit was: the show is
                    shameful, the city out to have prohibited it and no fine
                    ought to have been levied.

                    I recently finished a book called, "Why I Am Not A
                    Muslim."  Among the things I learned: that people who
                    call the prophet a pedophile do so because he married a
nine
                    year old girl, that he evidently was a bandit who shared
the
                    spoils, and that he was killing Jews or driving them off
the
                    land as early as the seventh century.

                    Re Eric's comment on stoning, if you haven't seen it,
                    two recommendations: the Christian method is in a film
                    called  "Zorba the Greek."  The Muslim version, in
                    a film made by an Iranian, is called, "The Story of Soraya
                    M"
                    Zorba is also a book.  I recommend you see the
                    film.  Also that you don't eat before doing so.

                    Currently, there is a concern in Western countries that
                    some Muslims are taking daughters to the home country for
                    circumcision and early marriage.  I have read about
                    this issue being of concern in the U.S. and Canada

                    Veronica

Date: Thursday, 20
                              January, 2011, 17:09

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12235237  Reactions