[lit-ideas] Re: META: Apology from C. Bruce expected by J. L. Speranza

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 21:22:17 -0500

I think I must have been on vacation when all of this ill will began. Everyone knows that I don't know shit about philosophy. I just enjoy communicating with intelligent people. I enjoy reading everyone on this list -- I probably only read half the posts, though I look at all. I really don't care about what any dead man thought. I care very much what people like all of you think, even if what you think is what some dead man thought -- I'm just not impressed that some dead man thought it.

I know that my knowledge of what humankind has thought is meager. I know almost all of you are far better schooled in reasoned thought than I am and I respect that, but so fucking what? I am who I am. I may envy your knowledge, but I have to be who I am with all my limitations. And it's our limitations that make us who we are, I think. Your intelligence gives you no more humanity over the most stupid of us.

I've always thought of JL as a magnanimous soul, one who didn't take himself particularly serious. Most academics, I've thought, do, or so it's been my experience -- and perhaps because in Academia especially, reputation is everything. But I'm surprised that JL seems offended by insults that I would dismiss as par for the course professional slights. I wasn't around when the Chris Bruce episode occurred. Did Chris call him a "shithead" or a "snot nosed brat"? Or a plumber -- : ) Ach! What does he care what Chris Bruce thinks of him. Or why would Chris Bruce take offense? You two don't even know each other. You're just two guys who jack off and shit and piss and do all the disgusting little things that guys do every day. Get over it. God is not on anybody's side.

JL, you have a sense of humor that is wonderful.  Use it for Christ's sake.

Mike Geary
Memphis
wanting the women back. Women are the leaven against male pomposity. Where are the women??? Come back. Lit Id needs women.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Stone" <pastone@xxxxxxxxx>