[lit-ideas] Re: META: Apology from C. Bruce expected by J. L. Speranza

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 11:26:15 EDT

In a message dated 7/14/2009 11:08:36 A.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
phil.enns@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Jl seems to be having a  bit of a moment and while the polite thing to
do would be to look the other  way, I can't resist a few comments.
If Chris NEVER sent the post, he could  hardly have later sent it.
How does one send an email in a patronizing  manner?
I suppose the more important question is, what Grice would say on  these
matters?

---

I wrote that in a hurry. So allow me to express, and see if I can find the
relevant posts. If not, you'll deal with my memory.

Geary wrote a poem.
NOBODY commented.
I felt like doing.
I rephrased EVERYTHING he said in philosophical terms.
Notably whether or whether not God is out of bounds, as he said.

I entitled my thing "The Bounds of Sense"

seeing that that is patronising the anglos, I rewrote it in German

"Die Genzen der Sinnlichkeit".

You, Phil Enns, rightly noted that FOR KANT, God is out of bounds
but not really out of bounds because well it is within regulative  bounds
-- Geary never commented, so how do we know if he cares?

---
"K. Trogge" (i.e. C. Bruce) insulted me TWICE:

-- He said that I don't know the FIRST thing about Kant.
   (if I doubt that Gott was so important for Kant)

   -- he actually insulted me by suggesting that I check
      with what Kant Wrote IN GERMAN (online, he  adds --
      as if Kant was in a match-maker website or  something).

Then some criss-crossing of posts occured. "Trogge" THOUGHT that he had
sent a post with his quote from p. 30 of Strawson, or something -- a page
which  merely 'expounds' the thesis, but is hardly critical of it. Meanwhile I
was  typing the relevant quote from a later stage in Strawson's book -- p.
100, as I  recall.

Then I got this post from Trogge:

post 13, July 3:39 am:

         Why would Phil Enns bother
          when I've just given  you Strawson
          explaining the role  the concept 'God'
          plays in Kant's  critical philosophy - i.e., a regulative one.
          ... the quotation I  gave from Stawson outlines
          quite clearly how a  concept like 'God'
          differs from a  concept like 'elbow'

Typically, he tries to cover his elbow by posting a post, "For the rest of
you", "I'm exceeding the 3-post-limits because I have to respect my
electronic  identity" or some such, implying I am a criminal, or something.

Now, if you search the files, there is NO POST that Trogge thought he had
sent.

In a LATER post, he writes:

13 July 4:11

        This seems the easie[s]t  way:
        On 13-Jul-09, at 2:47 AM,  _chrisbruce@xxxxxxxx_
(mailto:chrisbruce@xxxxxxxx)  wrote:
        On 13-Jul-09, at 1:50 AM, Phil  Enns wrote:

and goes on to give the Strawson quote, p. 33.

---

So, to answer Phil Enns,

How can Trogge criticise me for not reading his posts if he does not send
them or sends them from the wrong address and bounce back?

That's why I use 'resend' in scare quotes. He thinks he is resending, I
hope, But he is just sending for the first time. But he does not have the
courtesy to say, "Gee -- Sorry, JL. I love you".

---- And I'm not blaming "Trogge" for NOT reading my posts. MY quote from
Strawson notes, as you, Phil Enns granted, that the issue is COMPLICATED,
and  that science, as Kant knew it, is a no-no (ditto his "God", I claim). It
becomes, as Strawson notes, a circular definition for the Thesis of the
Uniformity of Nature that Hume had refuted some hundred years before.

And McCreery says, "sublime posts by Trogge". It Was _ME_, humbly, who
created Trogge. We never had a momentum from Chris, so creative, as we were
happy to experience, unconstrained, by my motivations to engage him in
thougths.  For, WHO but me discovered that he ("Trogge") was planning to blind
and
deafen  his neighbour? I was actually going to call 9-11 neif-ein-ein.

But then I LOVE Chris.

JL Speranza
   Buenos Aires, Argentina
Steps!