[lit-ideas] Re: META: Apology from C. Bruce expected by J. L. Speranza

  • From: karltrogge@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 17:49:24 +0200

On 14-Jul-09, at 1:53 PM, Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote:

I do feel like C. Bruce did insult me a couple of times over the last couple of posts.

           See the post from karltrogge@xxxxxxxx:
        Subject:        [lit-ideas] Re: Did Trogge Quote From Strawson?
        Date:   13 July, 2009 4:20:20 AM GMT+02:00

 He NEVER replied to my "Did Trogge quote from Strawson?"

           See the posts from karltrogge@xxxxxxxx:
        Subject:        [lit-ideas] Re: Die Grenzen der Sinnlichkeit
        Date:   13 July, 2009 4:11:05 AM GMT+02:00
and

        Date:   13 July, 2009 4:20:20 AM GMT+02:00

But an apology and minimal respect for the dignity of others seems a minimum.

           See the post from karltrogge@xxxxxxxx:
        Date:   13 July, 2009 4:20:20 AM GMT+02:00

C. Bruce has also justified his exceeding the 3-posts-a-day because he says he feels that he can get criticised
in his  absence

Where do you find that? You can criticize me as much (within the 3- post-a-day limit, of course) as you feel like. Build an effigy and kick it around for all I care. ;-)

I made no attempt to justify my excessive posting. See the post from karltrogge@xxxxxxxx :
        Subject:        [lit-ideas] Note to the rest of you on list guidelines
        Date:   13 July, 2009 3:43:18 AM GMT+02:00
There I say: " I can't stand in a room (which is my 'take' on these electronic colloquia) and listen to the sort of stuff and nonsense that is being said here about people like Plato, Kant, Strawson et al. without responding."

This is nothing more than explanation. I never for the moment intended it to be taken as justification. In fact I feel that I am no more justified in exceeding the 3-post-a-day limit than you are.

... over-sensitive. So are some of us here other than him.

           See the post from karltrogge@xxxxxxxx:
        Date:   13 July, 2009 4:20:20 AM GMT+02:00

Are those enough reiterations of my - sincerely expressed, both then and now - apology? (If not, 'copy' and 'paste' as required!)

(There's a wonderful expression in German: 'die beleidigte Leberwurst spielen' [to play the insulted liverwurst]. There's also a saying in the Canadian province of Newfoundland: 'build a bridge and get over it.' NOTE that I am for the moment just MENTIONING these phrases, not USING them.)

JL, it is perfectly within your right to express whatever opinion you like on whatever topic you choose (within the 3-post-a-day limit, of course).

If you feel it is insulting to have your (factual) errors corrected or your (sometimes outrageous) opinions challenged or your (occasionally fallacious) arguments countered, well ... what can I say?

Occasionally, where these opinions are factually erroneous (e.g. "There is no language where 'mother' doesn't start with 'm'") you will be challenged and corrected (Let's start with these exceptions: Hungarian: anya, Finnish: äiti, Turkish: anne, Indonesian: induk, Japanese: haha ... ).

Occasionally, where you misrepresent the position or argument of a philosopher ("'God' for Kant, is not a sensous concept _within our bounds_, so, he argues, he is meaningless") you will be challenged and corrected (here I quoted Strawson, since you brought his name in: "[For Kant] certain ideas [such as God] for which no empirical conditions of application can be specified... have a useful, and even a necessary, function in the extension of empirical knowledge, when employed in a 'regulative' [way]. [A]dvances ... in science ... Kant holds, are assisted by, even dependent on, thinking of ... the natural world ... as if it were the creation of a divine intelligence.")

Where your misrepresentation is particularly outrageous (Hegel), what can one do but rhetorically throw one's hands up in the air and expostulate?

Your ubiquitous 'just kidding's show that you are well aware that many of your remarks are rhetorically barbed or pointed; please allow the rest of us the occasional hyperbolic expression of disagreement or protest as well.

Cheers,
Karl Trogge,
Hamburg